About Microsoft Teams
Launched in 2017, Microsoft Teams is part of Office 365. It is meant to improve workplace productivity, and it does so by integrating a series of tools and features with a chat-based platform. Although it presents a somewhat stark contrast to what traditional Office users are accustomed to, this application is not independent of other Office 365 applications and comes fully integrated with them all.
If you would like to know all about Microsoft Teams and the features it has to offer, we highly encourage you to go through our comprehensive “What is Microsoft Teams?” guide, which discusses this platform in greater detail.
Since Microsoft Teams is entirely built on a new concept, many first-time users have expressed difficulty getting the hang of it. This guide will serve as a step-by-step manual to help you download Microsoft Teams on your device, be it a desktop computer or a mobile phone, to help you get started.
How To Download Microsoft Teams For Desktop
Downloading Microsoft Teams, of course, is the first step that you need to take towards achieving the productivity this application promises. However, the process of downloading this application is not the same across all desktop computers.
Somewhat, it differs slightly based on the kind of operating system you use. The following are the instructions for downloading Microsoft Teams for Windows, MAC, and Linux.
Download Microsoft Teams For Windows
Before you directly get into downloading Microsoft Teams for Windows, it is worth checking whether or not you already have it installed. A quick search through the Start menu is all you need to figure this out. If you get no results, you can follow the steps outlined below to have it installed.
Windows Hardware Requirements
Before you get to that, though, there is one more thing that you need to do: make sure your computer fulfills all the hardware requirements of this application. Microsoft Teams is only compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2+, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. Ensure that you are running on the latest version of Windows for the application’s optimum performance.
Apart from this, a minimum of 2.0 GB RAM, 3.0 GB of free space in a hard disk, 1024 x 768 resolution display, and a minimum of 128 MB graphics memory is needed to make teams work smoothly.
Furthermore, the standard camera, microphone, and speakers built-in with laptops are enough to allow video calls and meetings.
How to download for Windows
With hardware requirements in place, there are two ways in which you can proceed with the download. Both of them are given below.
- Open your desired browser and type in teams.microsoft.com/downloads. This will lead you to the original website from where you can proceed to download Teams.
- Click on “more options” below the blue button of “Download Teams.” This will take you to a page where you can select your device type and the operating system. Click on the appropriate option.
Note: There is an option between Windows 64-bit and 32-bit that you can choose from the download. We recommend that you go for Windows 64-bit option.
- Microsoft Teams will start downloading as soon as you choose your relevant operating system (Windows 64-bit in this case). Click on the downloaded client to begin the process of installation. You will see an “installing Microsoft Team” window until the application gets fully installed.
- The next step is to merely log-in to Microsoft Team using your credentials. In most cases, the credentials will be the same as the email address and the password you use for other Microsoft products. You should check with your organization for workplace-specific credentials.
- Once you have signed in, you will be able to access all that Teams have to offer.
- Open your desired browser and type teams.microsoft.com.
- Log in to your Microsoft account using your credentials. The email address and the password will be the same that you use for other Microsoft products.
- Once you have signed in, you will see a blue “Get the Windows app” button. Click on the button to initiate the downloading process.
- Click on the downloaded Microsoft Teams client to start installing the application. You will be able to see an “installing Microsoft Teams” windows.
- Once the application is installed, you can log-in using your credentials, after which you will be able to use Microsoft Teams in no time.
Download Microsoft Teams For Mac
Microsoft Teams works on Apple Mac is no different from the way the application works on Windows. The basic functionality remains the same. Therefore, it is just as easy to download and install the application on macOS as it was for Windows.
Similarly, specific hardware and software requirements must be met before you can expect to download Microsoft Teams for MAC.
To keep things comprehensive, all of the hardware and software requirements, as well as the step-by-step guide of downloading the application for Mac is available in our detailed guide “How to Download Microsoft Teams for MAC.”
If you are not a Linux or Windows user, be sure to check the guide out for detailed information relevant to your operating system.
Download Microsoft Teams For Linux
Although Microsoft Teams was not initially available for Linux, it was soon launched for this particular operating system towards the end of 2019. This made the application even more versatile and available for users across various operating systems.
The best part is that it is no different to work on Linux than what it feels like to use Teams on Windows or Mac.
Linux Hardware Requirements
The process of downloading Microsoft Teams for Linux is also comfortable and outlined below for your convenience. But, before that, make sure your computer meets all the hardware requirements to ensure the best performance of the application.
These include having a minimum of 2.0 GB RAM, 3.0 GB of free space in the hard disk, 1024 x 768 resolution display, and 128 MB graphics memory.
Microsoft Teams for Ubuntu
Microsoft Teams is supported by Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, 18.04 LTS, Fedora 30 Workstation, RHEL 8 Workstation, and CentOS 8 and any Linux distribution which can install DEB and RPM.
How to download for Linux
Once you have the hardware requirements of the application in place, you can proceed with the download by following the given steps:
- Open your browser and type in teams.microsoft.com/downloads. This will lead you to the original website from where you can proceed to download Teams.
- Click on “more options” below the blue button of “Download Teams”. This will take you to a page where you can select your device type and the operating system. Click on the option most relevant to you (either the .deb version or the .rpm version).
- You might have to open the file with your Software Installer. If you are asked to install via the GUI method, go ahead and put in your sudo password. This will complete your installation. If this is not the case, the download will finish by itself.
- Once Microsoft Teams has finished downloading, use cd ~/Downloads command to change into Downloads directory from a terminal window and then install Microsoft Teams with sudo dpkg -i teams*.deb command for Debian-based version and either sudo dnf install teams*.rpm or sudo rpm -i teams*.rpm for Red Hat-based distribution.
- Once the installation finishes, you can get started with your work on Microsoft Teams.
Note: You should always download applications from real providers and not fall into the trap of fake websites claiming to offer the application for free.
How To Download Microsoft Teams For Mobile
Downloading Microsoft Teams on mobile phones is more comfortable than downloading and installing the application on the desktop. Depending on the operating system your mobile runs on, the process of downloading Microsoft Teams will differ slightly.
Download Microsoft Teams For Android
First of all, check whether or not you have an Office 365 subscription. This is important if you want to use Microsoft Teams anywhere, be it your mobile or computer. Your employer or your organization will most probably provide your Office 365 subscription.
Once that is settled, follow the steps given below:
- Open Google Play store.
- Type “Microsoft Teams” in the search bar and click “Install.”
- You will be able to launch the application once it has downloaded fully. You can then sign in using your Office 365 credentials.
Note: the last four versions of Android only support Microsoft Teams. This means that if there is a new major Android version, Microsoft Teams will be supported by the latest version and three versions before that.
Download Microsoft Teams For IOS
The process of downloading Microsoft Teams on any iOS device such as iPhone or iPad is pretty much the same as downloading Teams on Android. The only real difference is in the store. Nevertheless, the instructions for downloading Microsoft Team for iOS are given below:
- Open the Apple App Store.
- Type “Microsoft Teams” in the search bar and click download.
- You will launch the application by clicking “open” once it has been fully downloaded. You can then use your credentials to log in and start working.
Note: Microsoft Team is only supported by the latest two major versions of iOS. This means that whenever a new version of iOS is released, Microsoft Teams will be supported by the newest version and the one that came before it.
Furthermore, the video background requires either iOS 12 or higher and only works on specific devices.
How To Download The Older Version?
If you find that the latest Microsoft Teams version has a bug that gives you a lot of trouble, you might want to revert to an older version. This can be quickly done by uninstalling the application and choosing a previous version through its version history when re-installing the application.
FAQ About Teams Download
Can You Download Microsoft Teams For Free?
Yes, you can download Microsoft Teams for free. However, you will only be able to access the free version that allows 500,000 members per organization and 2 GB of storage per user instead of unlimited members and 1 TB of storage per user offered in the paid subscription.
Can You Use Microsoft Teams For Personal Use?
Yes, Microsoft Teams can be used for personal things such as planning an event with friends or keeping track of To-Do lists. It is easy to switch from one Microsoft account to another so you can transition between work and personal use whenever you want.
How To Identify The Latest Version Of Microsoft Teams?
You can figure out what version of Microsoft Teams you are using and when it was last updated by clicking on your profile picture at the top followed by “Check for updates.” This will let you know if the latest version of Microsoft Teams is available for download.
How To Troubleshoot The Download Issues?
Many Microsoft Team users have reported a file downloading issue where the application does not successfully download any files. There a few things you can do to troubleshoot the problem. Firstly, try using a different browser if you are on a web version.
Secondly, make sure you have permission to download files. Thirdly, clear the application cache from your device. If nothing else works, use SharePoint folders to download files instead of directly downloading through Teams.
Where To Download The User Guide?
The Official Quick Start Guide to Microsoft Teams is available for download at download.microsoft.com › download › Teams QS
Microsoft Teams is an excellent collaboration platform that can be used to enhance productivity at work. It is available across all operating systems and can be downloaded through a few simple steps on both desktop and mobile.