What is a Zoom Meeting ID?
The zoom meeting ID is a unique 9-, 10-, or 11-digit number assigned to each meeting. People wishing to join a meeting can do so if they know the meeting ID.
The 9-digit ID number is assigned for an instant, scheduled, or recurring meetings, while the 10- and 11-digit IDs are used for Personal Meeting IDs.
Zoom Meeting ID vs Personal Meeting ID
Both the Zoom meeting ID and the Personal Meeting ID allow you to access Zoom meetings, but what’s the difference?
Well, the regular meeting ID is assigned to a meeting automatically upon its creation. The regular meeting ID is also temporary, and it expires after some time. Namely:
- An instant meeting ID expires immediately after the end of the meeting.
- A non-recurring meeting ID expires 30 days after the scheduled date if the meeting hasn’t been recorded. With that being said, the same meeting ID can be restarted within 30 days, and it will stay valid for another 30 days.
If a meeting is recorded to the cloud, its ID will expire 90 days after the beginning of the meeting.
- A recurring meeting ID expire if not used for 365 days.
The Personal Meeting ID is also assigned automatically, but it’s used for Personal Meeting Rooms permanently reserved for you.
The Personal Meeting ID can be customized, but only if you have a paid Zoom plan. You are assigned a Personal Meeting ID with the free plan as well, but you cannot customize it.
How to Find and Customize Your Zoom Meeting ID?
The meeting ID is one way for participants to join your meeting, so you, as a host, would want to know it to send to others.
Finding your ID
Here’s how to find your ID:
- During a meeting, the meeting ID is displayed as the title of the Zoom window in the desktop client. In the mobile app, tap on the screen to see the meeting ID at the top.
- To locate the ID of a scheduled meeting, navigate to the Meetings menu of the mobile app or the desktop client, and find the meeting. The ID will be under the Meeting ID.
If you are at the Zoom web portal, then navigate to My Meetings > Upcoming menu to find the ID.
Customizing your ID
To customize your Personal Meeting ID:
- Log in to the Zoom web portal.
- Navigate to Profile.
- Next to Personal Meeting ID, select Edit.
- Type in the desired ID.
- Choose if you want to use the ID for instant meetings.
- Click Save Changes.
A few things to keep in mind here:
- The ID must start with numbers from 2 to 9.
- Toll-free number prefixes like 200, 300, 400, 500, 508, 600, 660, 700, 800, 888, 887, 877, 866, 855, 850, 803, 804, 807, 808, 809, 900 are not allowed.
- Repeating 3-digit groups isn’t allowed, e.g. 358 358 358 x or 333 555 666 x.
- The same 8 numbers cannot be used.
- The same number can’t be repeated 5 times consecutively.
- IDs like 123456xxx aren’t allowed.
- It must be unique.