What is Zoom Personal Meeting ID?
As you probably know, Zoom has two kinds of meeting IDs – a regular meeting ID and the so-called Zoom Personal Meeting ID.
What’s the difference between these two ID types?
Well, the Personal Meeting ID is permanently reserved for your Personal Meeting Room. This ID can be started and scheduled at any time, and it does not expire. It’s also assigned to you automatically once you sign up with Zoom.
The regular meeting ID is also assigned to instant or scheduled meetings automatically, but its key difference from the Personal Meeting ID is that it does expire after some time:
- Instant meeting IDs expire immediately after the end of the meeting.
- Non-recurring meeting IDs expire 30 days after the meeting’s scheduled date, but if restarted within those 30 days, it is prolonged for another 30 days. If the meeting has been recorded to the cloud, the ID stays valid for 90 days.
- Recurring meeting IDs expire if not used for 365 days.
Another small difference between the two meeting ID types is that Personal Meeting IDs have 10 or 11 numbers, while regular IDs have 9.
Now, since your Zoom Personal Meeting ID is permanent, you should only use it for meetings with people you meet regularly. Once someone has your Personal Meeting ID, they will be able to join an ongoing meeting whether you want it or not, unless you lock your meeting or use the Waiting Room feature which is available starting from the Pro plan.
Speaking of plans, there’s one more thing to keep in mind. You are getting your own Personal Meeting ID even with the free Basic plan. However, starting from the Pro plan, you are allowed to customize your Personal Meeting ID as you fit.
How to Change Personal Meeting ID in Zoom?
Now that we’ve touched upon the customization of the Zoom Personal Meeting ID, let’s see how you do it. It’s fairly easy:
- Make sure you have a Pro plan and up.
- Log in to your account at the Zoom web portal.
- Select Profile.
- Locate Personal Meeting ID. Click Edit.
- Enter the desired ID.
- Check next to Use Personal Meeting ID for instant meetings if you want this feature.
- Click Save Changes.
Zoom has a couple of rules for their Personal Meeting IDs that you should keep in mind:
- The ID cannot start with 1 or 0, only with numbers from 2 to 9.
- Certain toll-free number prefixes are not allowed – 200, 300, 400, 500, 508, 600, 660, 700, 800, 803, 804, 807, 808, 809, 850, 866, 877, 887, 888, 900.
- Repeating the same 3-digit groups isn’t allowed, e.g. 555 555 555 x.
- 3 digit groups with the same pattern aren’t allowed, e.g. 111 222 333 x.
- Using the same number 8 times is not allowed, e.g. x 111 111 11x
- Using the same number 5 or more times consecutively is not allowed.
- IDs like 12345xxxx aren’t allowed.
- Your meeting ID must be unique and not used by anyone else.
Remember to follow these guidelines when customizing your Zoom Personal Meeting ID!